GrindWorld
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GrindWorld

A forum dedicated to the Jet Set Radio/Jet Grind Radio, Jet Set Radio Future, and The World Ends With You. A celebration of video games, art, music, and self-expression, with a whole lotta Tokyo thrown in.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

TWEWY Plot Summary!

Go down 
AuthorMessage
GnommishReader
GnommishReader

TWEWY Plot Summary! Empty
PostSubject: TWEWY Plot Summary!   TWEWY Plot Summary! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 4:58 pm

For all of you unaware of what the game The World Ends With You is about, prepare for a condensed version of plot events in TWEWY. Or rather, me explaining everything you will ever need to know.
This will not be easy, this will not be short. Prepare for SPOILERS which are a given and textwalls.

Okay so the game opens with our hero of this story Neku walking through Shibuya, Tokyo telling us his viewpoint on society and oh boy does he have a viewpoint. To him everyone else is not worth listening to nor are they of any use. We have our atypical loner and emo kid ladies and gentleman, isolationist and a bit of a jerk.

Once we get the well done and plot-spoiling opening, we have him wake up in the middle of Shibuya's Scramble crossing, with no idea how he got there and only remembering his name, with some creepy 'spam from hell' and monsters. After some action he forges a pact with a girl, Shiki, who is in the same boat as him, facing being wiped from existance unless they comply with the Reaper's game. (Think Hunger games, with daily missions instead of the battle royale.) Over the course of the next seven days he learns about the mechanics of the Reaper's game, finds out he's dead and so is everyone else, and fights monsters. Then they take down the boss and then?

Neku wakes up in the scramble, still in the game. Shiki was 'returned to life' and then taken as his entry fee for the next game. Here he partners up with a prissy brat called Joshua. Who calls him Neku twice before actually asking for his name. (More if you count generic battle quotes.) This Joshua kid is an enigmatic pain in the backside and for some reason missions are surprisingly absent. So they do their own thing, and Neku gets suspicious, given that on several occasions he sees the memory of himself getting shot by Joshua, and eventually we find out Joshua is not only not dead, he's hacked into the game. Come the final boss, we have a math fetishist who goes to hit them with a level i flare. In FF this means that it targets every level in every plane imaginable. So we have our Crucified Hero Shot of Joshua pushing Neku out of the way before bearing the brunt of the attack.

And then? We are back at the scramble in the game yet again. Joshua has been erased along with the game master and that is that. So Neku rushes to find another partner, to find that his entry fee for this game was EVERYONE ELSE. So, who else but an aquaintance, Beat, who joned the Reapers WAAAY back when you had Shiki, and tried to kill you various times when you had Joshua. Here we run all over Shibuya to find the current game master and a pin that happens to have the soul of Beats' erased little sister bound to it. So after that wild goose chase, we find ourselves at the final day, ready to head into the Shibuya river, kick Reaper ass and bring everyone else back. Here we reunite with Shiki, and head onto the final boss rush. After defeating the big guy, Conductor Kitanji, twice, Joshua shows up, Kitanji then forcibly merges Joshua into his monster form, takes Beat and Shiki captive and forces you to fight alone. Naturally we well and truly kick his backside in epic fashion involving overkill BEAMS OF LIGHT. Then, shocking plot twist! Joshua turns out to a.) Not be dead and b.) Actually be the guy running the show, who wanted to completely wipe Shibuya from the face of the planet. And guess what? You've just removed his direct opposition, Kitanji, who wanted to save the district. Nice Job Breaking It Hero. So after a final standoff, in which the victor becomes the Composer, between everyone's favourite prissy demi-god and Neku, Neku lowers his gun not wanting to shoot, and Joshua thusly takes the initiative and shoots him.

And then we wake back up in the Scramble, with one key difference. Neku is alive. Huzzah. Here comes the epilogue, Neku reflecting on how he's changed, how he's much more open and can trust people. He meets up with all his friends at the end and they all do a huge high five because they're back and ready to face life again. And we see in the secret ending that Joshua, in his true form, is actually sat atop the 104 building watching their happy reunion and being a little miserable because he's not able to be there with them all, given that he does consider Neku his friend.

END TEXTWALL
Okay so that is as condensed as I could possibly make it. Honestly it pains me to cut out so much for the sake of summary and I'll be going a little more indepth day by day so as to build up a full picture.
Tl;dr? This game is a magnificent story from Square Enix and Jupiter about the friendship, trust, betrayal, enjoying life for all it's worth, opening up to people and expanding your horizons because the world ends at your own horizons and to open it up you have to see other people's horizons too.
Back to top Go down
http://www.gnommishreader.tumblr.com
GnommishReader
GnommishReader

PostSubject: Re: TWEWY Plot Summary!   TWEWY Plot Summary! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 8:00 pm

Week 1 Day 1 Summary:

Okay now for the indepth.
Day one sees us in the Scramble Crossing. Neku has just woken up and the first thing he sees? A wierd pin that lets him read minds, a text that says 'Reach 104 (Ten-four). You have 60 minutes. Fail and face Erasure. -The Reapers', a clock on his hand, 'YOU HAVE 7 DAYS' on the big screen and a bunch of weird tattoo monsters that promptly start attacking you. 'D-down froggie...' Indeed.
In his first encounter, nothing to do but run. Everyone is ignoring you, but why? Now at this point we see the opening. It spoils everything in the game. EVERYTHING. I'm serious. It's so well done you honestly don't notice.

Anyway back to the game. We have some shadowy figures talking about 'work' and 'Players'. Neku has booked it to the Statue of Hachiko, and the monsters have followed him. They erase a tonne of people around him and NOW he's spooked. Along comes one Shiki Misaki, asking to forge a 'pact' with Neku, saying they can beat the monsters. They team up and kick frog butt with fire. She explains that because of their 'pact' they are now safe. And the monsters are apparently called 'Noise', Neku is still skeptical at this point though, even when she explains the Reaper's Game and the weeklong of fighting etc. He charges off to the Scramble, yelling at Shiki about how this is all stupid and she's crazy. They head to 104 anyway, and come up against a Wall Reaper, who mumbles about a pact confirmation and clears the wall. They FINALLY get to 104 and then we meet the dual screen battle system. You fight on both screens at the same time and it's awesome mostly. We defeat some monsters and Neku flips out over why the hell he's there. And that is Day 1 all wrapped up.
Back to top Go down
GnommishReader
GnommishReader

PostSubject: Re: TWEWY Plot Summary!   TWEWY Plot Summary! I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 07, 2012 9:49 pm

Week 1 Day 2 Summary.

What can I say? The Shiki week is actually pretty slow-paced and not really that important to the overall game. This is like the Homestuck Act 1 of TWEWY. It's setting stuff up, and ultimately leads to awesome. However it doesn't have much epic. I shall strive to document it however.

Okay so we wake up in Shibuya Underpass. Shiki explains that if the mission is not completed everyone is erased. So that's positive. This doesn't actually impact on gameplay. I went to the first day, got the mission, met Shiki, got told "ONLY 20 MINUTES LETS HURRY". I then proceeded to run around the Scramble for three hours. Nothing happened. Okay so we wake up and it's one day later. So we come across a wall, talk to the Reaper, defeat some Noise and then we have? Two Player Pins and then BEAT and Rhyme. Beat is not the sharpest pencil in the box. He's not even close. However we do have a sharp pencil with him, Rhyme. Beat gets huffed up by Neku's attitude and leaves, not before Rhyme gives us our first Cure Drink pin! To be honest, I didn't even use this until I got some more pin slots open. I'd rather kill the enemy before I need to use the cure, ja? ((I have played GS4, it rubbed off on me.)) So now we get stuck and then we have to do some lengthy talking and scanning of some random guy to get the Noise we have to clear to show up. I spent longer trying to get there than doing it. >:C So we clear the Noise from the Moyai and then we move on. We examine Hachiko, notice something is wrong, go back, talk to the guy, go back to Hachiko and POLISH LIKE THE WIND. This reveals? A Noise. Oh joy. We take it down and oh look the mission's done.

BUT WAIT! There's more. Apparently, killing Shiki is now a GOOD idea. Even though it's kinda been thrown in your face YOU NEED THIS PERSON TO LIVE. So Neku goes all Sith on us and starts force-choking Shiki.

And then we get the day end screen. Hope you like cliffhangers.

Onwards to Day 3!
Back to top Go down
GnommishReader
GnommishReader

PostSubject: Re: TWEWY Plot Summary!   TWEWY Plot Summary! I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 10, 2012 5:08 pm

Week 1 Day 3 Summary.

This day is about as content-filled as the others. So, we wake up in a dark mysterious room (Or namely how 99.9% of all text adventure games start.) unable to see much further than our face. The cutscene reveals that OMG Shiki isn't here therefore she's dead, flashback to day 2. We find out pins are useless outside battle, so no luck with that pyrokinesis pin mate. We walk a onwards and suddenly, SHIKI! Again pins are useless save a few outside battle. (As Neku notes, "...like psychokinesis...") Turns out we got stopped at the last minute by...
A hip and trendy dude called Sanae Hanekoma. And hoo boy does this guy have a fandom authoritative power over reapers. So he saves your ass, provides his personal details, like he runs a cafe. And he's Pisces. STAND BACK PEOPLE MY HOROSCOPE CALLED DIBS ON HIM FIRST*coughokayI'mdonecough*

After that, we make our way out of the dark and scary room, only to find out it was where we needed to be. We just couldn't see it beforehand. So, that out of the way, we make our way down and get introduced to the fusion star system and Shiki's method of using it, ESP cards. This is like 'match the two things' from hell. I personally give myself the title YUKON HERO: LEGACY OF THE FROSTBITE AMPUTEE in terms of my matching skills here. Any Homestucks here will know what I mean. You get 2 stars for a first time match and one for card retrys. I tend to build it up one by one.

So after that we are in Dogenzaka, and we do a FETCH QUEST to light up the target stadium and kill the boss. So after that lengthy, needless and poorly implemented fetch quest involving implanting ideas in people's heads, we get to fight THE BOSS. If you have a thing against bats this one is therapeutic. So, that over and done with, the boss vanishes, the mission is completed and chapter ends.

On to Day 4!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: TWEWY Plot Summary!   TWEWY Plot Summary! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

TWEWY Plot Summary!
Page 1 of 1